Firefighter Hiring Process
The EFD provides 24-hour service out of two fire stations with four engines, two ladder trucks, one heavy rescue squad, two advanced life support ambulances, and an on-duty Battalion Chief. The Department responds to over 6,500 calls annually. The Elmhurst Fire Department is a proud member of MABAS Division 12. Firefighters have numerous opportunities to engage in specialized training including Haz Mat and Technical Rescue Specialty Teams.
The starting salary for full-time firefighters effective January 1, 2022, is $77,287. The City of Elmhurst offers firefighters an outstanding benefit package including health care plans, dental, vision and life insurance. Additional benefits include paid vacation, Kelly Days, holiday pay, duty trades, tuition reimbursement, flexible spending account, deferred compensation plans, employee assistance program, sick leave, and a pension fund.
Firefighter Minimum Requirements
- $40 non-refundable application fee;
- No Felony Convictions
- Must be a citizen of the United States;
- High School diploma (or equivalent);
- Must be 21 years of age, and under 35 years of age at time of application, or as otherwise exempt by statute;
- Valid Driver’s License;
- Illinois Department of Public Health EMT-BASIC (EMT-B) license at the time of application. EMT-B license must also be current at time of conditional offer;
- Illinois Firefighter II or Basic Operations Firefighter Certificate;
- Valid Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) card and approved Ladder Climb Card due at the time of conditional offer of employment