The next time disaster strikes, you may not have much time to act. Prepare now for sudden emergency.
- Develop an escape plan
- Draw a floor plan of your residence. Show the location of doors, windows, stairways, and large furniture. Indicate the location of emergency supplies, fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, collapsible ladders, first aid kits and utility shut off points.
- Use a colored pen to draw a broken line charting at least two escape routes from each room.
- Finally, mark a place outside of the home where household members should meet in case of fire.
- Be sure to include important points outside
- Such as garages, patios, stairways, elevators, driveways and porches. If your home has more than two floors, use an additional sheet of paper.
- Practice emergency evacuation drills with all household members at least two times a year.