To identify and correct potential fire hazards caused by kitchen appliances, make sure to:
- Never leave what you are cooking unattended.
- Keep your cooking area (stove and counters) clear of anything that could catch on fire.
- If you have pots on the stove, always make sure the handle is facing inward so they are out of reach of children and so they do not get bumped into.
- Make sure to always have pot holders near the stove and within easy reach.
- Take time to clean grease often from your stove top, range hood, and range hood grease filter.
- Turn off all kitchen appliances when no one is home.
- Get a kitchen fire extinguisher and take the time to learn how to use it.